We are creating a unified UKRI website that brings together the existing research council, Innovate UK and Research England websites.
If you would like to be involved in its development let us know.

The Crich Stand – Memorial to the Mercian Regiment

Crich Stand, a lighthouse on top of a limestone cliff almost as far from the sea as you can get in the UK, is a memorial to the Mercian Regiment (prior to that the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters, originally the Sherwood Foresters). It officially became the memorial after the First World War, but there is a story that in June 1856 the end of the Crimean War was celebrated by a crowd including a Crich-born Crimean War veteran, Sergeant Wetton of the 95th Derbyshire Regiment, was carried up to the top of the hill in a chair (he lost his leg at the Battle of the Alma).

Crich Stand and the memorial to General Smith-Dorrien. With acknowledgment to Dr Nigel Hunt.

There have been several Stands on the hill, but it wasn’t until the 1920s that the current tower was built and dedicated to the memory of the 11,409 Sherwood Foresters who had been killed in the war. The site, nearly 1,000 feet above sea level, was chosen because it is visible from large parts of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

Dedication Service 6th August 1923. With acknowledgement to Dr Nigel Hunt.

The builder was Joseph Payne. The stone used was that of the previous tower, numbered and stored. It was quite an undertaking, with the tower reaching 64 feet, and the dome on the top weighing around 40 tons. It cost £2382, raised mainly through subscription.

Crich Stand above the quarry face. With acknowledgment to Dr Nigel Hunt.

After the Second World War, in 1952, a service was held to dedicate the memorial to the 1,520 Sherwood Foresters who died in that war. In 1991 two plaques were added at the base of the tower dedicated to the Sherwood Foresters killed after 1945, and to the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters who died after 1970. Relatively recently, a new stone memorial has been built near the Stand with the names of those who have died in recent wars. It still has empty spaces.

Each year, on the first Sunday of July, close to the anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Somme, a pilgrimage and service of remembrance is held at the Stand, attended by veterans of the regiment and others. There are few memorials in more prominent and impressive positions.

This article, by Dr Nigel Hunt, School of Medicine, University of Nottingham, originally appeared on the Beyond the Trenches blog. Dr Hunt is a Researcher for the Centre for Hidden Histories. Hidden Histories is a collaboration between the Universities of Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes, Manchester Metropolitan, UCL, Goldsmiths and Derby. The Centre is a one of five World War One Engagement centres established by the AHRC.

Return to features