Fellowships Scheme - Early Career
Fellowships Scheme - Early Career Overview
The Leadership Fellows Scheme is designed to develop and promote research leaders – individuals who set research agendas, lead research communities, provide intellectual leadership in their own disciplines and beyond, have a transformative impact on their subject area, and also act as advocates for the value and benefits of arts and humanities research to publics beyond academia. The Scheme offers opportunities for researchers and their research organisations to work in partnership with the AHRC in strengthening leadership capacity and capabilities in the arts and humanities.
The aims of the Leadership Fellows Scheme are to provide time and support for researchers:
- to develop their capabilities as research leaders
- to carry out excellent individual research which has the potential to generate a transformative impact on their discipline, and which is of exceptional intellectual scope and importance
- to develop and undertake innovative and collaborative leadership activities which are connected to their research and which will result in benefits for their own discipline(s) and beyond; and
The route for early careers also has these additional aims:
- to develop the leadership experience and capabilities of early career researchers in a crucial phase of their careers as they establish themselves and develop beyond doctoral and immediate post-doctoral work
- to enable the production of high quality innovative research that moves significantly beyond doctoral projects; Research Organisation commitment.
It should be noted that the Leadership Fellows Scheme is intended to support projects of research and leadership which cannot effectively be supported through routine provision of sabbaticals or other forms of research leave commonly funded through QR.
Where a highlight notice is issued, the Leadership Fellows scheme also seeks:
- to sustain and enhance research capacity in areas which may currently be under- supported for a variety of reasons
- to support the AHRC in delivering its strategic priorities and national capability needs.