Nahrein Network- Research Grant AwardsReturn to opportunities
The Nahrein Network fosters the sustainable development of antiquity, cultural heritage and the humanities in Iraq and its neighbours. It aims to support interdisciplinary research to enable universities, museums, and community groups to better serve local, post-conflict needs.
The Network is based at University College London, the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr, and the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford and has many international partners. It is funded for four years, 2017-21, by the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Global Challenges Research Fund Network Plus scheme.
These awards support interdisciplinary research on themes relating to one or more of the Nahrein Network's five aims. They offer two types of funding:
- Small grants of up to £30,000 (FEC) for projects led by Iraqi researchers, or collaborations between Iraqi and UK researchers.
- Large grants of up to £100,000 (FEC) for collaborations between Iraqi, Lebanese or Turkish and UK researchers.
Projects may last up to 18 months.
The Network invites applications from postdoctoral researchers (or equivalent) who are employed by, or have an official connection with:
- EITHER a UK or Iraqi, Lebanese or Turkish Higher Education Institution (i.e. a university or similar organisation)
- OR a non-academic organisation (e.g. cultural heritage organisation, NGO, community group) in the UK or Iraq, Lebanon or Turkey with a demonstrated capacity to conduct research.
Applications for small grants must be led by an Iraqi, Lebanese or Turkish researcher and do not need UK collaborators.
Applications for large grants must be made jointly by researchers in the UK and Iraq, Lebanon or Turkey who each fulfil these eligibility criteria. Large grants may also involve researchers from other countries.
The current round (deadline 15th of May 2019) will be the last round to award large grants. The final round in November 2019 will only award small grants.
- Please contact the Newtork directly at email@example.com if you have any questions about the funding schemes
Closing Date: 15/05/2019
The deadline for receiving applications is 23:59 (UK time) on the 15th May 2019. The current round will be the last round to award large grants.
How to make an application
All applications to be made through the University College London website:
For more information, please visit the Network website- https://www.ucl.ac.uk/nahrein/research-grant-awards
Please contact the Network directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the funding schemes
Return to opportunities