Chief Operating Officer
Alex Vincent has been Chief Operating Officer at AHRC since September 2018. Before that Alex was Associate Director since October 2017 and prior to this Alex was Associate Director, Policy and Analysis with Research Councils UK and oversaw the establishment of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund within the Research Councils. Alex also oversaw the development of cross-Council policy and strategy including:
- the cross-Council approach to spending reviews and fiscal events
- Open Access and Open Data
- Research Integrity
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Skills and Postgraduate funding
- cross-Council Funding Agreement.
As the primary link for the Research Councils’ with the devolved administrations she also, in her RCUK role, was a member of HEFCW’s Research, Innovation and Engagement Committee and Scottish Funding Council’s Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee. Alex also contributed to two major reviews, chaired by Professor Graham Reid, of research and innovation funding in Scotland and Wales.
Other committees and reviews that Alex was involved with included managing the Burgess Review of the implementation of the Research Councils’ Open Access Policy (2015) and chairing the resulting Open Access Practitioners Group; a member of the Open Data Taskforce; member of the UUK Open Access Group; member of the UUK Universities Week Steering Board; and member of the 2010 Science and Media Expert Group.
Alex started her Research Council career with ESRC, first managing their communications and PR before moving to oversee their Economics and Business research portfolio. Her early career started in stage management in the theatre before moving into a career in PR and brand management within the IT industry. This eventually led to Alex managing the communications and PR for a major Heritage Lottery funded Programme for English Heritage recording the images of all the listed buildings in the UK. Alex’s academic background is in History; Global History, Politics and Economics; and Science Communication.
Alex is one of three Associate Directors within AHRC and her remit covers:
- Senior Responsible Owner for Creative Industries Clusters Programme including the Creative Research and Development Partnerships and the Creative Industries Policy and Evidence Centre
- Research Infrastructure including representing AHRC on the UKRI Research Infrastructure Roadmap steering board
- AHRC Strategy and Corporate Planning including support to AHRC Council, Advisory Board and specialist Advisory Groups
- AHRC’s Knowledge Exchange, Impact and Evidence activities
- AHRC’s priority area in Design
- Core disciplines covered by AHRC’s Creative Arts and Digital Humanities (CADH) and Creative Economy subject themes.